Tuesday, June 9, 2015

What is Budget Billing?

June 9, 2015

Dear Cathy:

I just finished with college and have my first home on my own.  My friends told me I should get on budget billing to keep down the cost of my utilities but they could not tell me exactly how it works.  Living On My Own, Tennessee

Dear Living On My Own:

Anyone can get on budget billing.  This is nothing to be ashamed of -- it just makes sense!  Call your light company and tell them to put you on budget billing.  This way they will even out your light bill in the summer time and winter time so it will stay around the same amount -- so you don’t receive any surprises.  

This way you will know around how much you will need to pay every month on your light bill.  Many times gas companies also have this service.  If you have trouble paying the bill after getting on budget billing, then just call them back and get on a payment plan.  They will allow you to pay what you can (at least half) now -- then the rest on the next bill when you might have more money.

No one wants to be left in the dark and many people don’t understand that these utility companies will work with you.  But you need to do your part in cutting back on your bills also by disconnecting all circuits when not in use (TV, radios, stereos, computers, cell phones, lights, office equipment, microwave, etc.); Wash clothes in cold water; Air dry clothes during summer; Use energy-saving mode on appliances; Install efficient showerheads – just to name a few.

You can find out more ways to save money by reading the book “Recession Survival Guide: How To Get Back Into the Driver’s Seat" -- available as an e-book and paperback.

No comments:

Post a Comment